Sunday, July 19, 2009

You Smell Like Butt

Two weeks ago a pastor used bumper stickers as a sermon illustration. Later that day Kevin and I reminisced over our favorite sticker. Shortly after we were married, we saw a sticker on a car that made us laugh so hard we cried. This sticker had a cartoon drawing of a rabbit, standing with his hand over his mouth that was in a smile. The caption on the sticker was "You smell like butt." Even now as I type it, I laugh. I don't know what it is about this sticker that is so funny, but we laugh hard every time we talk about it. A few days later, I started really thinking about that bumper sticker and realized that there is some truth behind its caption.

Have you ever noticed that sometimes we can really make a mess of things? This is generally caused from our selfishness, our choice to live a self-hyphenated life. We constantly want controll of life and everything around us. God did not create us to be in control. We attempt to live out a dream that we made ourselves. God has a much greater plan. We think our beliefs and thoughts are more superior that those of other people. God called us to only speak and believe what He designed for us. Living a selfish life allows people to only see us, and us is really not something that most people need to see. Generally speaking, people are messy and stinky. We mess up when we do things on our own. In short, we "smell like butt." I don't know about you, but there are many times when my "self" gets in the way and I really smell like butt. It's disgusting and awful. I would much rather have far more moments where my "self" just got out of the way and Jesus can work through me. If we all chose to live life like this, then the world would smell much sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment