Monday, March 7, 2011

... one-hit wonder...

It has occurred to me that one-hit wonders are among the best songs ever done. Some of the most popular include "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Conner, "Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus, and "Mickey" by Toni Basil. I'm sure you can list a lot more. There are some one-hit wonders that I have come across that I didn't even realize were one-hit wonders... the songs were just that good. A reason why one-hit wonders are so great is because the artists invested a lot of time and all of their creative energy into that one song. They poured everything they had into that one song making it to the charts.

God also recently showed me that I spent a lot of my life afraid that I would be a one-hit wonder. I remember even asking the question internally, "Will I be remembered if I am not selected as a senior superalative?" when I was a senior in high school. The main objective of earning excellent grades in school was to achieve awards... to advance... to be made known.  I worked hard.  I spent a lot of time earning good grades, completing applications, and becoming a leader in clubs and associations.  And... I was tired.  I was worn out.  But I was really afraid that no one would know me or remember me when my time passed.

Was it worth it?  Not really.  I was working so hard to impress people.  I was trying to live up to standards and expectations that were unrealistic and truly never met.  What I was missing out on all that time was doing the work that God had before me.  That is really all that matters.  I wish that all of my hard work had resulted in at least one life that was changed.  To know that I had an influence on one life would have made a difference, even if that person never remembers who I am.  I have changed over the years and I now pay more attention to the work that God has before me.  I believe that by doing so I have had influence in someone's life, even helping them cross over from death to life.  And, I know that in God's book, I am more than a one-hit wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment